Friday, October 29, 2010

"So What's So Bad About Being So-So?"

In Lisa Wilson's article, "So What's So Bad About Being So-So?” she states that in today's society we take life too serious to the point that everything is not just for fun, but it is merely nothing but competition.  I believe Wilson proves a very valid point. It is true that we over work the children in today’s society, but we are also setting them up a more successful future. The key thing we should be motivated to accomplish is finding a middle ground for both time for relaxation and hard work. I have experienced watching my step mom always trying to compete with other people she knew in any way she could to one-up them. If she visited someone’s house she would take a good glance at they’re furniture and any other décor and would have to go out the next day to by the same exact material or something that resembled the same material, only better. She had the same problem with the any materialistic brand such as a clothing brand, purse designer, jeweler, and so forth. It was upsetting to see her in such a state of mind to have to be better than everyone else. Eventually she slowed down on her spending on herself when she had her first child. Now she spends most of her time on how to make her children better and smarter than the rest. It is unfortunate to see how much trouble she puts herself through to make this happen but as time passes by she is starting to find a middle ground for a time for relaxation and time for the competition.

5 comments:

  1. I think you have really great writing and grammar. I think the readers would like to see more though. Add another paragraph on maybe some experience you have encountered in your life time that can relate to her experience. This with give your essay really great contrast from the essay prompt. I think you have a really good first paragraph though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog response was good. There were no grammatical errors in your writing. Your observation that relates to Lisa Wilson Strick’s article is spot on. I could imagine your step mother going into someone’s house just observing the area and how she goes and compulsively shops around. I think you should separate the part about your step mom’s experience from the introduction paragraph. It would give a better form to your writing instead of it being in a clump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. while reading your intro I feel that you do get the point of the story I feel that your intro could have been a little stronger with examples. Loved how you opened your body paragraph it was really strong an I loved how you ended it. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great grammar, no spelling errors for as I can tell, and a nice experience, well done! As for your article, It sends a pretty strong message on how competition or that feeling of wanting to be better than everyone else can really consume someone's life like you Step Mom for example. Its good that she is finding herself a middle ground now she needs to set a good example for her child and she is doing just that. he personal experience and the summary just needs to be seperated so it doesn't appear as one rushed paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too can realte to your story. Great job. Although I would make sure you re-read your before you submit.

    ReplyDelete